Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University has been functioning since 15 July 2001 which was established by upgrading the Bengal Agricultural Institute/East Pakistan Agricultural Institute/ Bangladesh Agricultural Institute established in 1938 by the then chief minister of East Pakistan by Sher-e-Bangla A.K Fazlul Huq. Currently the University is situated on 86.01 acres of land at Sher-e-Bangla Nagar, in the central part of the capital city of Bangladesh. The University comprises of academic, administrative, residential buildings and a number of experimental laboratories and farms.
The graduates of this Institution have been playing important role in different disciplines in the field of Agricultural development both in home and abroad since 1943. The University is established with a view to impart higher Agricultural Education and to conduct time demanding research activities to generate new technologies and extend the result to the farmers.
At present the University is functioning with three faculties, Faculty of Agriculture, Faculty of Agribusiness Management and Faculty of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine. Recently a new institute has started to offer MS degree in Seed Technology. The University has the plan to open Faculty of Fisheries.
To maintain pace with the advanced educational system of the world, the University already introduced course credit system. Besides imparting education, the University has the mandate to conduct basic and applied research and transfer of proven research outcomes to the farmers.
For the management and coordination the research activities of the University, there is a provision for the post of Director (Research) in the University Act. An experienced professor in teaching, research and administration is appointed as Director for two consecutive years by the Vice-Chancellor as approved by the Syndicate. Director's responsibilities are to administer the SAURES office and to manage the research systems.
© 2023 Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University. All rights reserved. Maintained by: Information and Communication Center, SAU.